You can skip this step if an Informix IDS database is already installed.
(1) Log in the root user and create a user called informix
>useradd -g informix -d /home/informix informix
You can see the new group created in /etc/group:
The user information in /etc/passwd:
Set the user password as follows:
Changing password for user informix.
New UNIX password:
BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
Log on as the informix user (or use su -l informix) to check the server has informix uid defined locally.
(2) Log in as the informix user and unzip/untar the informix ship home (iif.11.70.FC7DE.linux-x86_64.tar) locally to $INFORMIX_SHIPHOME (i.e./home/informix/software/11.70) folder.
tar -xvf iif.11.70.FC7DE.linux-x86_64.tar
Run the following command to perform the installation as root user:
In my setup, installation path is: /home/informix/ifx1170. For Informix 11.5 and 12.1, I use the following path:
Next, please check the available port numer in your system. An example Port# could be:
- 71210 for ifx1210
- 71150 for ifx1150
- 71170 for ifx1170
(3) Setup the Informix Database Environment Variable
Informix installation creates the script to help setup the environment including:
- INFORMIXDIR variable to the directory where you installed the database server
- INFORMIXSERVER to specify the default database server to which IBM Informix DB-Access or an SQL API client makes an explicit or implicit connection.
- ONCONFIG variable to the name of a valid onconfig file.
- INFORMIXSQLHOSTS to specify the file that contains the sqlhosts information
- INFORMIXTERM to specify whether IBM Informix DB-Access uses the information in the termcap file or the terminfo director
- PATH to include the informix command in the PATH variable.
(3) Start the instance
Note, the -ivy i only use for the initial setup. For the later setup, just use oninit -v.
Check the database status:
IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 11.70.FC7DE – On-Line – Up 04:28:19 – 173796 Kbytes
You should also check the configuration for the DB:
SHMVIRTSIZE 100000 # initial virtual shared memory segment size
SHMADD 8192 # Size of new shared memory segments (Kbytes)
SHMTOTAL 0 # Total shared memory (Kbytes). 0=>unlimited
Then, based on the article (http://kb.deister.net/index.php/Keeping_Your_Informix_rootdbs_Lean_and_Clean), you should also check the content in rootdbs with oncheck -pe >tempfile command (tempfile).
- If you have found physical or logical log files in the rootdbs or if you have found other database objects, you should consider moving them out of the rootdbs to improve performance and maintainability.
- To avoid this disk thrashing, you should place the logical and physical log files only on your fastest-writing disk spaces.
- Place your logical and physical logs in their own dbspaces. A good rule of thumb for creating logical logs is to create enough of them to equal about 10 to 20 percent of the size of the total database.
Check the version of the Informix IDS database.
IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 11.70.FC7DE -- On-Line -- Up 11:28:09 -- 173796 Kbytes
Step 2: Create SYSCDC database
Run the following SQL command with the informix user:
dbaccess < $INFORMIXDIR/etc/syscdcv1.sql
You have to keep all the logs in the logical log before Oracle GoldenGate complete the extraction. Therefore, you might increase logical log size and the number of logical log files with the LOGSIZE and LOGFILES configuration parameters. An example is shown as follows:
onmode -wf LOGSIZE=1048576
11:21:14 Value of LOGSIZE has been changed to 1048576.
Step 3: Download and Install Informix CSDK for Oracle GoldenGate
Oracle GoldenGate for Informix requires CSDK 4.10FC4. You can install CSDK for Oracle GoldenGate in separate directory without changing the existing Informix database installation.