In summary, there are four main reasons:
- Simplifying the IT management
- Reducing the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
- Setting up for the Maximum Availability
- Enabling the Creative Use of the Data .
- Zero-Downtime Migration
- Query Offloading
- Live Reporting
- Real-Time Data Warehouse (Analytics)
- High Availability
- Disaster Recovery
1. Simplifying the IT Management
IT management is a complicated and stressful process. Replication tools like Oracle GoldenGate can streamline the process and reduce the stress in the following ways:
- Zero Downtime Migration: You can keep the source database fully operational during the migration so that the migration does not impact your users. You can keep both the new and old databases available and move users gradually to the new applications. You can also allow applications to fall back if you can't successfully move to the new platform. This means no stress during the migration cut over and low risks to start and complete the migration process.
- Query Offloading: Your primary database could be overloaded as the business increases. (Well, it's a happy problem to solve, isn't it?) Increasing the hardware capacity means high costs. Oracle GoldenGate can create one or more databases that have synchronized data with the primary database. You can then offload query applications from the primary. You can offload to a cheaper database also in this case.
2. Reducing the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
Everyone wants to get more things done with less spending. Reducing the cost is a forever hot topic in the IT planning. Replication tool can save your cost in the following ways:
- Zero Downtime Migration:Low-risk migration allows you to adopt new technology quickly and successfully. This can reduce total cost of ownership while you pick the most profitable solutions. For example, Sabre migrates data from HP NonStop database to Oracle Database to save the hardware cost.
- Query Offloading: you would purchase high-end hardware and software for your primary OLTP databases. The offloading query applications to lower cost software (SW) and hardware (HW) can save the cost. For example, Sabre offloads its query application from Oracle database to MySQL databases and saves ~80% of the HW and SW cost.
3. Setting up for Maximum Availability
You can't afford downtime for mission critical databases. Oracle GoldenGate is part of the database maximum availability strategy so that the system to continue working even if some of its parts have failed. . These includes:These are compliment to the native Database HA solutions.
4. Enabling the Creative Use of Data
The creative use of data can give you the advantages in business such as keeping the data geographically close to users for low latency and scaling out the number of machines that can provide data services. You can use Oracle GoldenGate to create the following services:
- Real-Time Data Integration: You can logically store data into multiple databases with Oracle GoldenGate synchronizing the data in real-time. Breaking down a large database into several small ones make it easier to manage. You can also configure a distributed database system optimize the geographic needs.
- Real-Time Data Warehouse (Analytics): The real-time data feeding from heterogeneous sources allows you to gain insights to your business.
- Real-Time Steaming Data Processing: With Oracle GoldenGate for Big Data delivering data to Kafka, you can design a streaming data processing application receiving transaction data from relational databases.
- Live Reporting: You can create live reports or operational reports for your systems. With a separate reporting database, you can optimize the report creation with the different table structure, storage and indexing options.
- Auditing: You can configure Oracle GoldenGate to capture transactions for users and tables for the auditing purposes.
These are just some examples. You can use the technology in your own creative ways. Enjoy using the tool.